U.S. News

Top US military official defends phone call to Chinese general

Washington, Sep 28 (AP) A top US military official told Congress on Tuesday that he knew former President Donald Trump was not planning to attack China and that it was his job to inform China.

Army General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, defended two phone calls to his Chinese counterpart, saying he had received intelligence that China was concerned about a US attack, which led to the phone calls.

He told the Senate Arms Services Committee on Tuesday, “I knew, I was sure that President Trump did not intend to attack China and it was my responsibility to express the President’s order and intent.” My job at that time was to reduce stress. My message was consistent. I told him to be calm, still, and relaxed. We are not going to attack you.”

Mili was beset by questions after reports that he had twice called General Li Xucheng of China’s People’s Liberation Army on October 30 and January 8 last year to assure him that the US would not go to war or attack suddenly against China. Used to be.

AP

joheb madhav

madhav

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Share via
Copy link