U.S. News

Foreign fighters and mercenaries leave Libya: UN chief

Advertisements
Disclaimer:This article has been auto-uploaded from the agency feed. It has not been edited by the team of NavbharatTimes.com.

United Nations, Sep 4 (AP) UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has urged countries to withdraw all foreign fighters and mercenaries from Libya. They said they were still involved in activities in the conflict-torn North African country that violated last October’s ceasefire agreement. “There has been no let up in their activities so far,” the secretary general said. UN chief urges countries supplying arms and military equipment to foreign fighters to stop violating UN arms embargo

United Nations, Sep 4 (AP) UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has urged countries to withdraw all foreign fighters and mercenaries from Libya. They said they were still involved in activities in the conflict-torn North African country that violated last October’s ceasefire agreement. “There has been no let up in their activities so far,” the secretary general said. The UN chief has urged countries supplying arms and military equipment to foreign fighters to stop violating UN arms embargoes.

Guterres said that the movement of strategic support aircraft to Sirte and nearby Jufra region of strategically important central Libya is also “uninterrupted”.

Advertisements

In a report sent to the UN Security Council and broadcast on Friday, Guterres called on “a comprehensive plan for the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of all mercenaries and foreign forces from Libya within a clear timeline.” ‘

Libya has been in turmoil since long-time dictator Muammar Gaddafi was ousted from power by NATO-backed rebel forces in 2011, and the country’s capital Tripoli has been under the control of a UN-backed government and former commander Khalifa Hiftar. The loyalty is divided among the administration.

Advertisements

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button