U.S. News

Biden approves deployment of about 5,000 forces amid withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan

Advertisements
Disclaimer:This article has been auto-uploaded from the agency feed. It has not been edited by the team of NavbharatTimes.com.

(Lalit K Jha) Washington, Aug 15 (PTI) US President Joe Biden has ordered the deployment of 5,000 forces in the war-torn country to ensure an orderly and safe withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan. The president made the announcement after Biden and US Vice President Kamala Harris had a video conference with the National Security Team on Saturday. The video conference discussed the ongoing efforts to repatriate US citizens in Afghanistan, evacuate SIV (Special Immigrant Visa) applicants and monitor the changing security situation. Ministry of Defence

(Lalit K Jha) Washington, Aug 15 (PTI) US President Joe Biden has ordered the deployment of 5,000 forces to the war-torn country to ensure an orderly and safe withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan.

The president made the announcement after Biden and US Vice President Kamala Harris had a video conference with the National Security Team on Saturday. The video conference discussed ongoing efforts to repatriate US citizens in Afghanistan, evacuate SIV (Special Immigrant Visa) applicants and monitor the changing security situation.

A Defense Ministry official said 1,000 US personnel are already in Afghanistan and 3,000 more personnel were ordered to be sent last week. The president on Saturday ordered the deployment of 1,000 more personnel, bringing the number of US forces in Afghanistan to 5,000.

The Secretary of State, the Secretary of Defense, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the Chief of Staff, the National Security Adviser and the Homeland Security Adviser joined Biden and Harris through the video conference.

“Based on the recommendations of our diplomatic, military and intelligence teams, I have authorized the deployment of approximately 5,000 US troops to ensure that we are systematically and securely transferred to and from Afghanistan to US personnel and security forces,” Biden said in a statement. To ensure the return of other allied personnel. At the same time, we can ensure the orderly and safe evacuation of Afghan civilians who assist our forces during our operations and those who are particularly at risk as the Taliban advance.”

The president, however, ruled out any change in his plans to withdraw all his forces from Afghanistan before September 11.

Advertisements

“I am the fourth president to lead the presence of American forces in Afghanistan,” he said, adding that he did not want a fifth president to lead the war after him.

Biden said he has ordered the armed forces and the intelligence community to ensure that the United States maintains its ability and alertness to respond to future terrorist threats from Afghanistan.

He also directed US Secretary of State Antony Blinken to help Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and other Afghan leaders who are trying to stop further bloodshed and reach a political settlement. Shortly thereafter, Blinken spoke to Ghani.

“They (Blinken and Ghani) discussed the urgency of ongoing diplomatic and political efforts to reduce the violence,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said. And also emphasized America’s commitment to the security relationship and America’s continued support for the people of Afghanistan.

Biden said Blinken would also hold talks with key regional stakeholders. “We have conveyed through our combatant commander to the Taliban representatives in Doha that if any of its actions in Afghanistan endanger American personnel or our operations, the US military will respond quickly and strongly,” he said. will do.

Advertisements

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button