On the stand-off with China in eastern Ladakh, India said on Thursday that only an early withdrawal of troops from the remaining areas of conflict in the region can pave the way for Indian and Chinese troops to consider normalizing the situation and in the border areas. Complete peace and harmony can be restored. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said this in the weekly press conference organized through digital medium. He said that such steps can make possible progress in bilateral relations between the two countries. He said that only with the early withdrawal of troops from these areas of eastern Ladakh, complete restoration of peace in the border areas and progress in bilateral relations can be ensured.
Significantly, the 11th round of top commander level talks between India and China was held on 9 April. At the same time, the meeting of the executive mechanism for consultation and coordination on border matters was held on March 12. It is understood that the next meeting of the Executive Mechanism to discuss and coordinate border matters may be held soon. External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had discussed with his Chinese counterpart on April 30 the process of withdrawal of troops initiated this year. In this regard, the ministry had said that the process of withdrawal of troops is not yet complete and it should be completed soon.
The border standoff between the armies of India and China broke out in the Pangong So area after violent clashes last year. After this, both sides had deployed thousands of soldiers and heavy weapons. After military and diplomatic level talks, the two sides withdrew troops and weapons from the northern and southern banks of Pangong So in February this year. However, it is understood that at some places, the deadlock still persists over the withdrawal of troops.